1. House Concert Definition -
House concerts are a grassroots phenomenon in the U.S., Canada, and the UK where world-class musicians and developing local talent alike perform in the comfortable intimacy of private homes and similar nontraditional spaces. The house concert hosts facilitate the shows to support the musicians, and the tradition of live musical performance; they do not make any profit – or even collect reimbursement; their costs are donated ‘for the cause’. Attendees typically pay a suggested donation (based on the specific show, typically about $20) directly to the musicians and get to enjoy the performance in an intimate, clean, safe, and fun environment.
2. Name- the “Houses Sing” name is the borrowed (appreciatively, with permission) title of the great song by Danny Schmidt – which has been a wonderful inspiration for the building and renovation work we’ve done in Central Texas, and the production of the house concert shows (Danny Schmidt was featured in an HSHC show along with Carrie Elkin for memorable evening in Taylor in April 2014).
3. The Concept:
- World-class performers from Americana and Folk genres to perform in Taylor, and Austin
- Professional acoustic sound/stage set up
- 100% of all monies collected go directly to the artists
- The artists typically perform 2 sets with an intermission and chance to mingle with attendees between sets
- CDs are usually available for purchase from the artists
- Some shows include a “pot luck” brought/shared by attendees that supplements some starter fare and soft beverages that we provide (e.g. pot of chili, enchiladas, quinoa salad, bottled water); feel free to participate…or not
- Adult beverages are BYOB
4. The Venue:
- Smaller, clean, and non-smoking setting that is comfortable for approximately 30-64 adults
- Two venues in Taylor: indoor concert hall (Fondren Hall), and outdoor beer garden setting (so shows are rain or shine!); Austin venue is a loft condominium
- Listening Room environment during performace (e.g. silence phones and such as we often record the performance)
- Staffed entirely by volunteers